Tuesday, June 15, 2010

June 14- Pearl Market

This morning we all slept in until about 8 AM! Meredith woke at 5 AM, had a bottle and went back to sleep. She had a great night, no screaming episodes.
We had to stay in our rooms from 9:30 -11 incase Jason needed to contact us regarding Visa paperwork. I tried to pack, but nothing seems to be fitting in, plus all our clothes are being washed. Once we get those back then I can really pack!

At 11, we went to the Pearl Market. Before we went into the market, Nana Joy wanted to try a fried scorpion. Why? I don't know. She said she saw it on TV and decided that she wanted to do it. It was gross to even watch! The Pearly Market is a 7 story mall filled with only jewelry. We went to the top and learned all about pearls. It was hot and humid again... and the stores are not air conditioned! We were all miserable, the store keeper gave us free water though. After the purchase of pearls we went to McDonalds. What an experience this was! It was 2 stories and a worker had us find seats and then took our order. I guess they figured it was easier for them to do this with foreigners. We got LOTS of stares. It is so un-nerving being the minority!

We got back and "rested". Meredith is going to be like Rebecca with naps.... not a child who likes to take them! Jim and Rebecca went shopping and got some ice cream while I tried to get someone to nap... with no success. We went swimming again but it was windy today and as soon as Mei Mei hit the water she cried. So she and I went back to the room while Jim and Rebecca swam. She did finally go to sleep! Rebecca and I went shopping with our friend Andrea while Jim and Meredith went out "shopping" with the boys. We met up for dinner at Lucy's of course!

After a quick bath, both girls are asleep!

Tomorrow we go to the consulate at 2:15. I hope to be able to access a computer before we go, but we will see. I can't wait for you to see the girls in the matching dresses. We might have to do a photo shoot before the computer gets packed up! We have the opportunity to go to the zoo which I REALLY want to do, but we have to be packed and out of the room by 2 and wouldn't be back from the zoo until 12:30. So we decided that for my sanity, we would pass it up. Plus is so always so humid out!

Meredith has changed so much these 2 weeks! I think she is going to be just as inquisitive as her big sis is! She is very busy and always moving, unless she is drinking her bottle. She is into EVERYTHING, that is everything she isn't suppose to be into! She will sit with a bunch of toys surrounding her yet she crawls to the trash can! She is constantly pulling herelf up to the night stand to pull everything off. She laughs a lot and smiles a ton! She rarely cries, so I had to take a picture of her crying when I had her in the crib. She was mad that I was waiting for the water to boil for her milk. She is so stinking cute even then! Rebecca said that she knows English because she responds to Mei Mei now (which is funny because Mei Mei is chinese for little sister!) She says Mama, but I am not completely convinced she uses it for me, but I am pretending it is! Her BM issues seem to be gone. She is eating some table food, but I think it just kinda sits in her mouth because after a while is all comes out, with a sneeze or slobber! I think with her cleft palate she isn't sure how to eat it, since she obviously never has.

Rebecca is still doing well. She has her moments and it is usually when it is meal time. She has never been much on eating and here where familiar things taste a little different makes it that much worse. Although the candy and snacks seem to be fine. Hmmm... She is a trooper. Her little friend Mia has been sick with a high fever and stomach thing... so we haven't seem them in the last 2 days. So instead she has been playing with Andy, one of the dads. She is very ready to come home. I ask her what her favorite part was and she said getting the flute (see picture below). I am sure she will be the one to answer "nothing" or "went swimming" when asked next year what she did on her summer vacation. She doesn't like to say "ni hao" to the locals because they assume she can speak Chinese and then start talking to her more. The look on her face is priceless... that panic look of now what mom? I noticed a lot of kids watching her at Mcdonalds. Some said "hello", proud as we are that they can said a greeting to someone!

Jim is enjoying hanging out with the guys at night watching soccer. I think they have been there every night. Not that there is much to do here once the girls are in bed. I don't even want to pack because I don't want to wake them.

We leave tomorrow night at 7 to go to Hong Kong and then leave HK on the 16th at noon. We will be state side by 2:15 and at the Cinci airport at 9:15 for the airport party! HOORAY!!!!

I can't wait to get home!



















No comments: